The John Perkins Fellowship
- Jun 01, 2010
- Category: General
Northern is excited to announce the John Perkins Fellowship which will be available for 6 new students beginning in Fall 2010. Each student will receive a 100% tuition scholarship for a Master of Divinity with a Christian Community Development Emphasis. All will be invited to engage in a transformational experience. During the program, students are mentored, participate in urban ministry internships, and receive first-hand training from top urban ministry leaders.
Benefits of the program
- Students are mentored by top urban ministry leaders
- In-context learning allows for immediate practical ministry training and transformational educational opportunities
- Community building activities designed for Fellowship participants allow students to create a network of peers and receive support.
- Following graduation, students are able to audit a course at Northern for free each year in order to assist in life-long learning.
To be considered, an applicant must:
- Have a degree from an accredited undergraduate institution
- Participate in an on-campus intervie
- Be admitted into the Master of Divinity with an Emphasis in Christian Community Development
- Be able to articulate a call to urban ministry through a 2-3 page essay
- Provide two additional references supporting the application for admission
- Be committed to full-time study*
- Currently live or agree to live in an urban setting approved by the program director. Students are required to attend the community building activities which are normally held in the Lawndale neighborhood of Chicago.
- Currently serve or agree to serve in a ministry role at an urban church or ministry.
*Degree must be completed in 3-5 years
Live in Community:
Students must live in an urban setting. This allows students to truly be transformed by the experience. All must engage in the community-building activities often held in the Lawndale neighborhood of Chicago.
Through a partnership with Lawndale Community church, each year a limited number of volunteer internships at Lawndale Community Church are made available to John Perkins Fellows. In exchange for the internship, students are provided housing. If you are interested in one of these internships, please note that on your application.
Below a you can refer a student or, if you are interested in receiving the scholarship, simply complete the form with your name in the "Student Name" and "Your Name" fields.