Transferring Credit

No credit can be given for work which was applied to an undergraduate degree. Such work, however, may be the basis for waiving an introductory level course (300 level) and taking an advanced course in the same area. Students must secure faculty permission from a regular Northern faculty member teaching in the discipline. Written notification to the Registrar is required, stating the courses waived and approval for substitution.

Transferring from Other Graduate Programs

Only work done at ATS-accredited schools which has been approved by the Registrar as appropriate to the degree program to be pursued can be transferred. Only B-level grades or better will be considered for transfer. Normally transfer credit that is more than ten years old will not be accepted.

A course taken at another institution which is judged by the Registrar to be equivalent to a Northern course may be substituted. The student may be asked to provide a copy of the catalog and syllabus for the course in question (or its equivalent) for review by the professor from the discipline in question and the Registrar.

The maximum of transfer credit from a conferred degree is half of the hours earned in that degree. At the same time, a student must complete a minimum of one-third of the M.Div program or one-half of M.A.C.M. at Northern's main campus to receive a degree.

Transferring from Other Doctoral Programs

It is possible to transfer up to eight (8) hours of doctoral elective credit from an accredited school for work done prior to beginning the D.Min. program. The student must submit an official transcript and a syllabus for each course to be transferred.  In addition, the following conditions must be met:

  • The course(s) must be doctoral level, completed with a grade of 3.0 (B) or better, and not applied to another earned degree.
  • The course(s) must be less than 10 years old.
  • The course(s) must relate to the participant’s D.Min. ministry issue.  This is assessed in conversation with the D.Min. Director.  An additional 3-5 page paper may be necessary to show relevance to the participant’s ministry issue.

Transfer credit will be officially considered after the student has completed eight (8) hours at Northern Seminary and must be approved by the D.Min. Director.

News & Events

Winter Quarter Library Hours

The Brimson Grow Library will resume normal quarter hours starting ... Read More

Winter Break Library Hours

The Brimson Grow Library of Northern Seminary will offer reduced ... Read More