These instructions are a work in progress and will be expanded as time permits.
These instructions are specifically for uploading an EBSCOHost eBook to an iPhone. Some devices, like the Nook, only require steps 2-8 below.
- You have to use a computer with an authorized iTunes account.
- You have to install Adobe Digital Editions (DE) on the computer.
- You have to use a compatible iPhone app -- Bluefire or Textr are two options.
- Both Adobe DE and the iPhone app must be authorized with the same Adobe ID.
- You have to create a personal account in EBSCOHost.
- When you are logged in to your personal account in EBSCOHost, find the book you want and click on the "Download" option.
- EBSCOHost will give you the option of opening the downloaded book or saving it for later. If you are ready to upload it on your iPhone, you may open the book immediately. If you want to transfer it to your iPhone later, you may save the link to the book on your hard drive.
- Once the book is open in Adobe DE, some devices like the Nook will allow you to transfer the eBook directly from Adobe DE to the device. Simply plug in a compatible device, and click and drag the book to the icon for the device.
- iPhones and iPads, however, can only receive the eBook via iTunes. Use Adobe DE to open the book, which will authorize it, and then close Adobe DE.
- Open iTunes and use the "sideloading" capability of iTunes to add the authorized DRM file to the list of Bluefire or Textr titles
- Sync your iPhone either via a USB cable or wirelessly (iOS 5+), and voila, your EBSCOHost eBook will now be on your iPhone.
- The eBook will remain checked out to you for 7 days. At the end of 7 days, it will automatically be deleted from your iPhone. If you delete the eBook before 7 days have passed, you will no longer see the eBook, but it will remain checked out to you for the full 7 days.
Not a process for the faint of heart, but a determined individual can eventually enjoy the satisfaction of reading EBSCOHost eBooks on an iPhone.
Do you need assistance locating library resources?
Call the front desk at (630)620-2104
or email the library at