How to Apply
Application deadlines are one month prior to the first day of the quarter for students based in the United States. As soon as your information has arrived, we will make an admission decision within two to three weeks.
International Students: Please click here for specific information about how to apply to Northern as an international student.
To apply for admission to any Master's degree you will need the following:
- A $35.00 application fee (non-refundable) - Pay Online
- A completed Application for Admission.
- Official transcripts of all academic work done beyond the high school level at accredited institutions.
- A Bachelor degree from an accredited institution (Master's Only).
- Letter of reference from your pastor
- An autobiographical statement (400 words or more)
If English is not your native language, and you have not completed a degree in which the courses were taught in English, you will need to submit:
- Test scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) indicating that you have earned a score of 550 or higher on the paper based exam or 213 or higher on the computer based exam.
To apply for admission as a visiting student you will need the following:
- Provide proof of good standing at your current seminary or graduate school
- Complete a visiting student/auditor application for admission
- A $35.00 application fee (non-refundable) - Pay Online *Does not apply to alumni
To apply for admission to the Doctor of Ministry Degree you will need the following:
- $50 application fee - Pay Online
- A completed Application for Admission
- Three letters of reference
- An Academic Essay
- A self-assessment essay
- A Master of Divinity ( or its equivalent) from an ATS accredited institution with at least a 3.0 (B) grade point average
- Three years of ministry experience after receiving the MDiv
- A context of professional ministry
If you have had comprehensive ministry experience prior to and during the completion of your M. Div. degree, you may be able to enroll in the DMin program without the three years post-MDiv ministry experience.
As of July 1, 2013, doctoral students will progress through a candidacy process as part of their degree.