We will be continually updating this page with information and resources for our Northern Seminary community. To the right, under Related Pages, you can find additional content for you to use at this time. If you have questions about the information below or cannot find an answer, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are praying for our community as they adapt to this season.
CARES ACT EMERGENCY GRANT
On April 30, 2020 Northern Seminary signed and returned the CARES ACT – Higher Education Relief Fund Agreement. The CARES ACT allows Northern to provide emergency financial aid to students. Read more about the CARES ACT and application for emergency relief.
As you know, Illinois is in phase 3 of a 5-phase reopening plan. Phase 4 is scheduled to begin June 26, and we will be able to open the Lisle and Southside centers at that time for in-person teaching and in-person library use. We will notify you if anything changes to that plan as soon as we become aware.
As the timing of your class(es) approaches we will keep you posted regarding the phases of re-opening in Illinois. Continue to monitor the https://www.seminary.edu/coronavirus/ website. Everyone will be required to follow Northern’s safety protocol for covid-19.
For students coming to class in person, we will provide hand sanitizer and PPE masks for you to wear. Each person is responsible to check their own temperature prior to coming.
If you have any questions, please contact Linda Owens.
SUMMER AND FALL INTENSIVES
All Lisle Center and South Side intensive courses will be held as scheduled and will be available in person and via Northern Live options for persons unable to travel. Delivery for the Lawndale/CCD intensive scheduled for September 24-28 is still to be determined.
FALL CONVOCATION AND COMMENCEMENT
In light of the COVID-19 travel advisories still in place, the Spring Commencement ceremony will be rescheduled to October 10, 2020, at Christ Church of Oak Brook. Founders Day will be Thursday, October 8 at 11:30 a.m. On Friday evening, October 9, we will hold a Fall Convocation ceremony to celebrate the class of 2020. Students who would have normally graduated in June may participate in Fall Commencement. Contact Linda Owens in the Student Success Center regarding the graduation fees – email@example.com.
BRADY LECTURE WITH FLEMING RUTLEDGE
Due to COVID-19, the Theology & Mission Lecture is postponed and will be rescheduled for a later date.
MASTERS AND DOCTORAL PROGRAM SUMMER COURSE SCHEDULE
Unless otherwise noted, intensives will be delivered in person.
- Div. and MACM Formation and Ministry Skills courses will continue as normal. Students are encouraged to use this summer to continue their course work.
- DM 7045 (Catanus) May 18-22, 2020 via Northern Live
- MAW Students – WS 301 Theology of Worship & Spirituality (Perigo) July 27-31, 2020 via Northern Live
- CH 305 History of Christianity Survey-MAUL (Brockway/Hatch) Aug 10-14, 2020 in coordination with the Urban Leadership Symposium August
- NT 401 Orientation to NT Studies (McKnight) Aug 24-28,
- NT 406 Contextual Theology (TE 416 Cruciform Ethics) (Gupta) Sept 1-4,
- MN 307 (TH 385) Topics in Missional Theology I: God, Evil & Spiritual Warfare (Boyd) Sept 14-18,
- MA CCD CT 400 and DM 7809 Church and Community Development intensive rescheduled to September 24-28,
- NT 406 Contextual Theology (TE 416 Cruciform Ethics) (Gupta) Sept 1-4,
- DM 7060 Thesis Design (McKnight) rescheduled to Sept 8-11,
- DM 7850 NT and its World (McKnight) Sept 14-18,
- DM 7616 Missional Leadership (Roxburgh) rescheduled to Sept 14-18,
- DM 7015 Becoming Doctors of the Church (Hayles) Sept 14-18,
- DM 7809 (CT 400) Church Based CCD (Gordon) rescheduled to Sept 24-28,
- DM 7753 Preacher as Worship Leader (Jackson) rescheduled to Jan 4-8,
- CT 333 Cultural Exegesis (Scheffield) rescheduled to Jan 4-8,
- Course schedule, delivery system, and faculty assignments are subject to Check Populi for information about each course.
- Fall term courses begin September 21, 2020, and will be delivered via Northern Live
URBAN LEADERSHIP SYMPOSIUM
August 12, 2020 at Antioch Missionary Baptist Church in Englewood
JOURNEYS OF PAUL TRIP
The Journeys of Paul trip will be postponed to June 13-23, 2021. Students in the 2017 cohort will participate in Spring Commencement in 2021 and then travel after commencement. Students in the 2018 cohort will participate in the 2021 trip. Because Northern Seminary is changing the trip (not the travel agent), an additional nonrefundable $200 deposit may be required to reserve your place in the 2021 trip. Northern Seminary will absorb the $200 deposit for students. Friends and families of students will pay the $200 deposit at their own expense. For all travelers- do not send in your final payment that is due April 3. Additional details will be sent to participants via email. If you have any questions, contact Ingrid Faro (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If students have any financial problems or other concerns, please contact Linda Owens (email@example.com) for assistance.
- New students for Spring Term are invited to take advantage of a special offer. To assist you during this time of special uncertainty, we are waving technology fees and refunding application fees for new students who start in the Spring Term. Your first class will be 50% off. Contact Admissions@seminary.edu for more information. Register by March 26.
Blake Walter, our Director of Library Services, is available to assist you with locating any books or articles needed for your course. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-620- 2115. Book chapters and articles will be scanned and emailed; books not available as e-books will be mailed directly to students.
Many vendors are making e-books and online journals available for free while the Coronavirus is disrupting spring and summer courses. Take a look at the new online resources available: https://northernseminary.libguides.com/resource/online_databases_and_resources.
- Contact Blake Walter (email@example.com ; 630-620-2115) for online reference assistance.
- As long as the Illinois shelter-in-place order is in effect, students cannot pick up books in person. Needed books will be mailed to students.
- All I-Share lending and borrowing is also suspended “until further notice” from the state delivery service.
- Faculty can consult the Fair Use & Emergency Remote Teaching & Research Public Statement from 50+ state university and research libraries. Contact Blake Walter for assistance with adding online resources to course reserves.
NORTHERN LOCATIONS & OFFICES
Illinois is currently under a Shelter in Place order. Northern staff and faculty will be following this directive.
- The Lisle Center will not be open to the public through April 30
- The South Side Center, Cincinnati Center, and Lawndale Center will be closed until further notice. Classes will be held via Northern Live.
- Northern will continue to receive and send mail
- Voicemail will be returned promptly
Ministry Innovation Courses
We are offering three courses this summer to help ministry leaders respond to COVID-19. Check them out and register below.
- 24 Aug
- 31 Aug
- 01 Sep
- 14 Aug
- 22 Jul
- 01 Jul
Latest Blog Entry
The 2020 Vision Conference partners with Northern Seminary
By: Northern Seminary
The year 2020 began with great hopes for seeing life and ministry with a clarity that would result in health, growth, and effectiveness. Then the dark clouds of COVID-19 began…Read Post View All Posts