Over the summer, the 89 Illinois academic libraries that make up I-Share all moved to a new library platform called “Alma.”
Searching in I-Share now looks like this:
FAQs about I-Share
How Do I Use the New I-Share?
Connect to the I-Share online catalog at: https://northernseminary.libguides.com/resource/ishare_catalog
When you type in some keywords and get results back, there are filters on the left hand side of the page.
- Among other things, you can filter your search results to display only items at the Northern Seminary Library, or you can select a specific I-Share library underneath “Other Libraries.”
- If you know that you will want to place requests for materials from other I-Share libraries, you should go ahead and click on “Sign in” in the yellow bar at the top of the screen. You will sign in using your Northern Seminary Single Sign On (SSO) credentials — your northern seminary email address and password.
- Click on any individual title to bring up the full display for just that title. Once you are viewing the full display for a title, you can place a request for that item.
Placing a Local Request for a Northern Seminary Book
If a copy of the book is available in the Northern Seminary library, you will see it listed as “Available” and there will be an option to Request the book:
Because you are a Northern Seminary student (or staff or faculty member) requesting a Northern Seminary book, you will want to set your Pickup Institution to be Northern Seminary:
Clicking on “Pickup Institution” presents you with a long list of all the I-Share libraries — scroll all the way down to the bottom of the list:
until you see “Northern Seminary (NBT)”. Click on “Northern Seminary (NBT)” to set your Pickup Institution and Pickup Location to the Northern Seminary library on the Lisle Campus:
Then click on “Send Request” to submit your online request to the Northern Seminary library:
As long as the Northern Seminary library continues to be closed due to COVID-19, we will either mail the book to you, or, if you live near the Lisle Campus, you can arrange a time for a curbside pick-up outside the front doors to the Lisle campus.
Requesting a Chapter Scan from a Northern Seminary Book
For books that are owned by Northern Seminary, if you want a scan of a specific chapter, you can use the “Digitization” link to request an emailed PDF of a chapter or specific pages from the book:
The chapter will be scanned in 1-2 business days, and a PDF of the scanned pages will be emailed to your Northern Seminary email address.
Placing an I-Share Request
For titles that are not available in the Northern Seminary library, you will have the option to place an I-Share request from one of the 88 other academic libraries in the state of Illinois. Click on “I-Share” in the white area to open up the I-Share request form:
While the default option is to have I-Share requests sent to the Northern Seminary library on the Lisle campus, you do have the option to specify a different I-Share library as your preferred Pickup Institution. (But see the COVID-19 note below.)
- If you are requesting a specific volume from a multi-volume set, be sure to note what volume you want.
- If you want, you can specify a “Not needed after” date — unfilled requests are automatically canceled after the “Not needed after” date — or you can leave the “Not needed after” date blank.
- Click on Send Request at the bottom of the form after you have finished filling it out.
Your request will automatically be routed between different I-Share libraries until one of them can fill your request and send the book. I-Share books are shipped between libraries via a state-wide courier service.
You will receive an email notification when your book is available.
Viewing My Online Library Account
Logging in to your online library account will allow you to:
- View the items that you have checked out to.
- Renew items that you wish to keep longer.
- Monitor the status of or cancel any requests that you have made.
- View any fines for overdue or lost library items.
If you are not logged in to your library account, there will be yellow prompts encouraging you to sign in, or you can always scroll up to the upper right corner of the search screen and click on the “Sign in” menu option:
You will then be prompted with two login options:
- SSO (Single Sign On) for Northern Seminary students, staff, and faculty:
Use your Northern Seminary email address and password
- Other Users for borrowers who do not have a Northern Seminary email address:
Your User ID is your library card barcode number
Once logged in, you will see an overview of your account:
- You can see and renew items that you have checked out;
- check the status of any pending requests;
- see any fines or fees that have been charged to your account.
The left-hand side of the screen may display multiple libraries if you have materials currently checked out from other I-Share libraries or if you have requests pending with other I-Share libraries.
Whenever you are finished reviewing your account information, always click on your name in the upper right corner and sign out of your account.