Below are some frequently asked questions students have regarding studying at Northern.

How do I enroll in my classes?

Enrollment is completed through your academic advisor. Kelly Wunderlich can assist you. Please contact her to proceed.

What if I need to take a quarter off?

You can find our Leave of Absence form under the Student tab. Click “Registrar” then “Registrar Forms.”

How do I access the library?

Library resources can be found under the Students tab on this website. For additional information or help with library resources, contact Thomas Lyons.

Where are the Registrar forms?

All forms regarding LOA, Withdrawal, Change of Degree, etc. can be found under the Students tab on this website.

How do I access Seminary Now? Is it Free?

You can access Seminary Now here. Contact Ethan Coke for subscription discounts.

Who handles scholarships and financial aid?

Scholarships are handled by a committee led by Alicia Peconio. Information regarding scholarship offerings can be found under the Students tab on this website. For additional questions, contact Alicia Peconio.

What do I do if I need to withdraw?

Withdrawal forms can be found under the Students tab on this website.

Do I have to attend intensives in-person?

In-person intensives for MA students are strongly recommended due to the fact that community is a much needed part of your seminary journey. We do understand that travel can be difficult for some, so we’ve provided a live-streaming option for those who cannot attend. Dmin students are required to be in-person for intensives unless otherwise arranged with the Dmin Program Director.

Is the student responsible for book purchases?

Students are responsible for purchasing all necessary texts for classes. Please refer to the classes syllabus as some required readings may be uploaded in article or pdf form.

Is there available lodging during intensive weeks?

Northern has agreements in place with three options for overnight accommodations as follows.

Extended Stay America – directly across the street from us

The rate quoted to us was $104.49/night plus tax. Call 630.434.7710 and speak with Reservations. Mention Northern Seminary, and give your credit card to secure.

Hyatt Regency

1400 Corporetum Drive (due west at the intersection of Rte. 53 and Warrenville Road, south side of the street), Lisle, IL 60532. $105.00 per night. Includes hot breakfast.

DoubleTree by Hilton

3003 Corporate West Drive (due west along Warrenville Road, south side of the street), Lisle, IL 60532. $109 per night. Breakfast coupon included. Booking Link >

Is there a preferred citation method at Northern Seminary?

Here is a great resource to consider.

On average, how many hours do students invest into each class per week?

This varies widely — typically 2-3 hours if it is more familiar material or an intro class and 10-15 hours if the class text is very dense or complex. It is rare to do more than 15 hours throughout the quarter.

Does the “Women, Preaching, Evangelism” class deal with teaching women how to preach?

Yes, we look at preaching and overall communication of the gospel to both the church and society. We do not spend time discussing the pros and cons of ordaining women, but assume that women can preach and evangelize, and thus build those skills and knowledge base.

Does the "Women Leadership" class deal with developing leadership skills in your students?

Yes, we would look at leadership skills in a church setting, and in the wider world. We look at knowing yourself as a leader, and how organizations work.

Is it possible to enroll in a class without enrolling in the program?

Yes, you would be in the “certificate” category, which consists of non-degree, MA courses. After 5 courses, you have earned a graduate certificate. You can apply those classes to a MA program if wish.